BAM is a senior scientific and technical Federal institute with responsibility to the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. It tests, researches and advises to protect people, the environment and material goods. Our legal status and tasks result from the BAM Decree and the legal foundations.
Our range of services extends over four business areas that bundle the products of our organization:
- research and development,
- knowledge and technology transfer,
- scientific and technical services and
- sovereign and public services.
In performing our tasks, we pursue the goal of ensuring and developing safety in the fields of material technology and chemistry. We have included this goal in our mission statement.
The order- and rule-compliant execution of our services is supported by a quality management system that contains the basic regulations of the organizational and technical infrastructure.
All research and development work is subject to the Code of Conduct of the German Research Foundation (DFG) with its Guidelines for Safeguarding Good Research Practice. We have drawn up a research programme for the presentation and management of our research and development activities. As a departmental research institute, we are regularly evaluated by the German Council of Science and Humanities.
For our scientific and technical services, we meet the requirements of the ISO 17000 international series of standards. This concerns ISO/IEC 17025 for testing and calibration activities, ISO 17034 for the production of reference materials, ISO/IEC 17020 for activities as an inspection body and ISO/IEC 17065 for activities as a certification body. For these services we hold accreditations by the German Accreditation Body (DAkkS) or comparable proves of competences.
Our approval, certification and expert activities are based on international conventions, European directives and national law.
Our quality goals are
- the fulfillment of the requirements placed on our services, considering the demands of our customers and stakeholders from the fields of business, science, politics and society,
- ensuring the technical quality of our results and their national and international acceptance,
- the continuous improvement and optimization of our processes and
- the maintenance and development of the skills of our employees.
Each employee is responsible for the quality of his or her work and at the same time he or she is required to observe and apply the specifications of our quality management system and to actively participate in its further development.