- Organisation Chart
- Component Safety
- Welding Technology
At Welding Technology we study the system Material – Component – Welding Process utilizing a holistic approach and with a special attention to state-of-the-art welding processes.
Our particular expertise with regards to the complex interaction of the welding process and joined material does contribute to the safety of welded components by the transfer of knowledge to industrial practise.
We employ electric arc, laser, and laser-arc hybrid welding processes where high-power laser beam welding of thick walled structures is a special focus of our research.
The evaluation and prevention of weld-related fractures is a core topic in our research and we employ experimental set-ups at laboratory scale supplemented by numerical simulations for the systematic investigation of such defects.
Fields of expertise
- Laser and laser-arc hybrid welding at rated powers up to 20 kW
- Arc welding methods
- Experimental hot cracking tests
- Numerical simulation of welding-induced temperature fields, distortions, thermal and residual stresses
- Numerical simulation of welding processes (multiphysics)
- Enhanced weld pool dynamics by electromagnetic induction
- We promote the application of modern laser and laser-arc hybrid welding processes to welding of thick walled structures
- We investigate the applicability of advanced materials and high power low energy input welding processes in electric arc welding
- We identify the contribution of welding process characteristics on the resulting quality of the weld seam
- We develop strategies for optimized welding processes and to mitigate the contribution of the welding process in regards to crack initiation
Range of services/technical equipment
- Fibre and disc lasers with 20 kW and 16 kW rated power respectively
- Pulsed laser beam and electron beam application
- Modern, fully digitalised arc welding equipment (e.g. GMAW, TIG, SAW)
- Joining of high-strength and maximum-strength steels and hybrid joints
- Numerical simulations using commercial codes, such as Ansys®, Sysweld®, Simufact.welding®, Comsol® and in-house codes (analytic, neural networks, hybrid models)
Publications of the division