- Organisation Chart
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Fibre Optic Sensors
As a competence centre for fibre optic sensors, the division provides information and advice with respect to all questions of development, application and reliability of fibre optic sensors and sensor systems. On focus is the development of fibre optic sensors for condition monitoring of infrastructures, energy plants and materials.
The particular expertise of our division encompasses distributed fibre optic sensors for the continuously distributed monitoring of geotechnical structures, large infrastructures and constructions and energy plants.
We have broad expertise in the application and integration of fibre optic sensors in materials and structures with respect to the early detection and location of damages (structural health monitoring).
We are also involved in the validation and the development of standards and technical regulation of fibre optic sensors.
Fields of expertise
- Distributed and point-wise measuring fibre optic sensors for measurement of temperature, strain, pressure, humidity, vibration and ionizing radiation
- Distributed Brillouin and Raman fibre optic sensors (BOTDA, BOFDA, Raman OTDR)
- Distributed fibre optic acoustic sensors (C-OTDR)
- Optical-fibre time-domain and frequency-domain reflectometry (OTDR, OFDR)
- Fibre Bragg gratings (FBG)
- Fibre optic Fabry-Pérot interferometers (FPI)
- Distributed and point-wise measuring fibre optic sensors based on polymer optical fibres (POF)
- Validation of fibre optic sensors
- Distributed fibre optic sensors for monitoring of geotechnical structures, large infrastructures and constructions and energy structures and plants (e.g. dikes, dams, creeping slops, bridges, tunnels, pipelines) across several kilometres and with a spatial resolution of a few metres
- Surface-applied and structurally integrated fibre optic sensors (e.g. in composites, concrete, technical textiles) for structural health monitoring (SHM)
- Fibre optic sensors based on polymer optical fibres (POF)
Range of services/technical equipment
- Distributed fibre optic Brillouin sensor devices (BOTDA and BOFDA)
- Distributed fibre optic Raman sensor device (Raman OTDR)
- Distributed fibre optic acoustic sensor device (C-OTDR)
- High-resolution optical-fibre reflectometry devices for silica and polymer optical fibres (OTDR, OFDR, OBR)
- High-resolution optical spectrum analysers
- Interrogators for Fibre Bragg gratings (FBG)
- Interrogators for fibre optic Fabry-Pérot interferometers (FPI)
- Validation facility for surface-applied fibre optic sensors (KALFOS)
- Temperature and climatic chambers for testing of optical fibres
- Tension testing machines for optical fibres
Publications of the division