- Organisation Chart
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Non-Destructive Damage Assessment and Environmental Measurement Methods
The Non-Destructive Damage Assessment and Environmental Measurement Methods division supports the practical application of non-destructive testing for all fields of construction, improves existing and develops new methods and supports the compilaton of regulations.
Non-destructive testing methods are used in construction for special tasks in cases of damage, assist in verifying existing plans, are used as a tool for quality assurance during the construction, and for long-term monitoring. This makes them a key contributor to durable and safe buildings.
We participate in national and international research & development projects with industrial enterprises, public administration and research institutions, and conduct feasibility studies and tests. In this context, we cooperate with all construction-related disciplines, including construction chemistry, materials science, civil engineering (both above-ground and underground), geoengineering and heritage preservation.
Fields of expertise
- Solving complex testing tasks using non-destructive testing methods
- Ultrasonic, radar, LIBS, infrared thermography, pile testing and geophysical methods
- Development of methods, sensor applications and measurement technology
- Ongoing development with automation, combination of methods and data fusion
- Validation of testing solutions, development of reference test samples and cooperation in establishment of regulations
- Development of methods
The projects, which are largely funded externally, are conducted together with partners from industry, public administration, academia and other BAM departments.
- Evaluation of Structures
Measurements are performed under practical conditions on a wide variety of structures (reinforced and prestressed concrete structures such as bridges, roads, foundations, embankments, dams, railroads; residential and industrial buildings, masonry, historical buildings etc.) as part of research partnerships or as test service.
- Consulting and information
We actively offer and provide consulting and information services on non-destructive testing methods to serve to encourage the use of NDT methods.
The division organises national and international conferences. Its employees are active in higher education teaching and professional education.
An “advanced training course” is offered for international participants.
Range of services/technical equipment
- Acoustic methods ultrasonic, impact-echo,sonic)
- Radar (Ground Penetrating radar)
- Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)
- Pile testing (integrity testing, CSL and parallel seismic testing)
- Electrical methods (DC, SIP)
- Moisture measurement
- Sensor technology for long-term monitoring
- IR thermography
- Building scanner
Range of services
- Research & development contracts
- Feasibility studies
- Test Service
Research infrastructure, reference objects
- At the “ZfPBau Horstwalde” centre for testing and validation and in the headquarters laboratory, this division owns a variety of reference specimens for selected research topics.
Publications of the division