Non-destructive Testing Methods for Civil Engineering
The division Non-Destructive Testing Methods for Civil Engineering promotes the practical application of non-destructive testing (NDT) methods for all areas of civil engineering, improves existing methods, develops new methods and supports the development of regulations.
NDT methods are applied in civil engineering to detect damage, to help verify as-built plans, to serve as a tool for quality assurance during construction and to provide continuous monitoring. Thus, they make an important contribution to durable and safe structures and provide optimisation possibilities for almost all parties involved in the building management process, from construction to operation and dismantling.
NDT provides information on the exact position of built-in components such as reinforcing bars, pipes or post-tensioning ducts as well as on structural integrity. This enables efficient planning of engineering-related tasks, such as maintenance, refurbishment and renovation. Embedded NDT sensor technology will enable "smart" building operation in the future, which will also make it possible to estimate future material behaviour or the remaining service life.
We cooperate closely with industry, public administration and research institutions in national and international research and development projects and carry out feasibility studies and tests. In doing so, we cooperate with experts from all areas of civil engineering, construction chemistry and building materials science, structural and underground engineering, geotechnical engineering, monument protection and nuclear waste disposal.
Fields of expertise
- Research, development and application of NDT methods for safety and sustainability in construction
- Increasing the quality and effectiveness of NDT using automation, digitalisation or a combination of technologies
- Determination of the potential and limitations of NDT methods for specific tasks
- Performance of process validation within the framework of quality management
- NDT for infrastructure with a focus on reinforced and prestressed concrete
- NDT methods for the investigation of existing structures
- Research and development of NDT processes for new materials and construction methods in civil engineering
- NDT methods for nuclear waste disposal research, e.g. for the construction of repositories for radioactive waste
- Transfer of knowledge into practice through standardization, training and consulting
Range of services/technical equipment
Range of services
- Consulting on the use of NDT in the construction industry
- Research and development contracts
- Feasibility studies
- Testing contracts
In cooperation with other BAM divisions, methods such as IR thermography, acoustic emission analysis, NMR, fibre optic sensor technology, electric potential measurement and vibration sensor technology are also available.
In the test and validation centre ZFPBau at BAM-TTS and in the laboratory at the BAM headquarters, the division has a large number of reference specimens for specific material and testing scenarios. It is also possible to provide reference data sets to interested parties.
Publications of the division