Containment Systems for Dangerous Goods
Safety of Gas Storage Systems
Gas storage systems include all pressure vessels for gases. But in this context, it refers in particular to pressure receptacles and propellant gas storage systems, but also to stationary storage systems if these are used for a gas as an energy carrier, in particular hydrogen.
Gas storage systems have an inherent hazard potential due to the pressure under which the gas is stored. Accordingly, safety is always at the forefront when assessing gas storage systems, which is more and more defined and evaluated according to risk aspects.
The division "Safety of Gas Storage Systems" conducts research for the safety and probabilistic risk assessment of gas tanks in vehicles and pressure receptacles. Here, the focus is on hydrogen as an energy carrier and coordination as a cross-cutting function between the the BAM experts for safety in production, storage and use of hydrogen.
One research focus is the storage of hydrogen in composite pressure vessel (CPV). Experimental investigations are the methodological basis. These are supplemented by numerical simulation procedures for load capacity (FEM) and for statistical strength distribution (MCS). With this background, we develop advanced knowledge for evaluation, which is the basis for our consulting services to the legislator and in standardization.
Approval according to transparent regulations with the greatest possible worldwide acceptance and the guarantee of safety in operation are the central prerequisites for the success of every new design - from the point of view of manufacturers and operators of gas storage systems.
Fields of expertise
- Experience with different safety aspects around hydrogen
- Testing of gas storage systems with destructive and non-destructive methods, especially for hydrogen applications
- Evaluation of gas storage systems made of composite materials with regard to degradation of their strength
- Monitoring and evaluation of the ageing behaviour of gas storage units
- Probabilistic analysis of likelihood of occurrence and risk
- Active contribution to international regulations on gas storage systems
(transport and vehicles)
- Contact point and coordination for all aspects of hydrogen technology
- Improvement of testing and evaluation procedures for gas storage systems
- Implementation of the research results in regulations and standards
- Approval of pressure receptacles according to dangerous goods regulations
Range of services/technical equipment
- Hydraulic test bench for load cycle testing aiming on the determination of the service life of pressure receptacles and propellant gas storage systems up to over 1000 bar
- Hydraulic test bench for load cycle testing aiming on the determination of the service life of pressure vessels and propellant gas storage tanks up to over 1000 bar
- Various methods for fire and impact testing (high-load, high-velocity) of composite pressure vessels, also with hydrogen filling
- Surveillance of procedures for artificial ageing or destructive testing with non-destructive methods (e.g. acoustic emission analysis, various methods for measuring surface strain and others)
- Numerical analysis of the efficacy of approval regulations
Publications of the division
In the database PUBLICA you will find publications by BAM employees.