Containment Systems for Dangerous Goods
Safety of Transport Containers
The Safety of Transport Containers division covers the scientific research, testing and design approval aimed at ensuring the safety of transport containers for radioactive materials. This includes design examinations,the review of mechanical and thermal safety analyses and activity release calculations packages requiring approval for the transport of radioactive materials.
Our duties also include the approval of special form radioactive material and the assessment of quality management systems for the fabrication and handling of packages. A further focus is the development of experimental and mathematical testing methods for container structure analysis.
As part of our experimental work, we also perform a wide range of stress tests on our Technical Safety Test Site (BAM TSTS) in Horstwalde.
Fields of expertise
- Many years of experience, precision, expertise and impartiality in performing safety evaluation and design approval of various transport container types and related quality management systems
- Expert consulting for the public sector, industry, federal and state institutions in matters relating to transport container safety
- Operation of custom-developed testing facilities for drop and fire tests
- Know-how and experience in complex numerical component stress test analyses
- Testing and evaluation of container integrity and sealing system function under operating conditions as well as effects of hypothetical severe accidents
- Research on safety-related scientific methods for experimental and analytical container stress tests and on safety margins
Range of services/technical equipment
- Drop test facilities: Drop tower with 200 t hoist, drop heights of up to 30 m, unyielding 2,600 t foundation and guided drop test machine for up to 1,000 kg drop mass and up to 12 m drop height
- Measurement equipment for experimental stress analysis for test objects under dynamic loading conditions
- Helium leak testing
- Fire tests of containers for radioactive material (with division 3.3), Hardware and software (ABAQUSTM, ANSYSTM, LS-DynaTM) for stress analysis using Finite Element Method (FEM)
Publications of the division