Containment Systems for Dangerous Goods
Tanks for Dangerous Goods and Accident Mechanics
Safety plays a particularly prominent role when transporting dangerous goods. We in the Tanks for Dangerous Goods and Accident Mechanics division are experts in the safety of containers used for the storage, handling and transport of dangerous goods in tanks and pressure vessels, and for composite gas propellant tanks.
Based on experimental and analytical examinations, the requisite evaluation principles are established that not only support lawmaking processes but also assist private enterprise by providing consistent and binding safety frameworks. The prompt and active application of our research results are essential in this case.
Fields of expertise
- Experimental and numerical investigations on load handling and the service life of tanks for dangerous goods and pressure vessels
- Continued development of testing and analysis procedures on the degradation of composite gas propellant tanks
- Evaluation of the resistance of tank and container materials (e.g. for the GEFAHRGUT database and the BAM List)
Application of research results to technical rulesets at national and international level
Range of services/technical equipment
- Fire testing stations for performance of large-scale tests
- Hydraulic burst and creep testing stations for pressurized containers and gas propellant storage
- Hydraulic impulse testing station for determination of service life of pressure vessels and gas propellant tanks
- Drop test station
- Ballistic testing of composite pressure vessels
Publications of the division