- Organisation Chart
- Analytical Chemistry, Reference Materials
- Food Analysis
Our aim is to make an active contribution towards food safety by acquiring and evaluating the latest in analytical results. This includes in particular the development and validation of standardisable analysis methods and the development and certification of reference materials for organic chemical trace analysis.
Our work focuses on the analysis of organic contaminants involved in the production, processing and storage of foodstuffs, including in particular the mycotoxins formed by mould fungi that are highly significant to food safety within the context of controlled European limits. A current focus in this area is the identification of degradation and transformation products derived from physical, chemical and microbial processes. A further topic under study is the analysis of polybrominated flame retardants in environmental and food matrices.
Our activities are part of national and international networks. In addition to our research and standardisation efforts, the transfer of knowledge and technology to SMEs constitutes a key element of our work.
Fields of expertise
- Chromatographic methods for quantitative trace component analysis in organic contaminants and residues in environmental and foodstuff matrices
- Production of traceable reference materials for organic environmental and foodstuff analyses
- Study of transformation, conjugation and metabolic processes
- Organisation of and participation in national and international round robin tests (e.g. CCQM)
- Metrological infrastructure: Development of traceable calibration references, reference materials and analysis methods for new organic environmental and foodstuff contaminants
- Investigations (in vitro metabolism, electrochemistry) into the formation and identification of degradation, transformation and conjugation products
- Cooperation in standardisation committees (Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety, §64 Foodstuffs and Animal Feed Code, “mycotoxins” working group, DIN working group “Biotoxins”)
Range of services/technical equipment
- Analysis service
- High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with MS/MS, FLD and DAD detection
- Electrochemical reactor (EC) with HPLC and MS, FLD and DAD detection (online coupling)
- Preparative HPLC with MS and DAD detection
- Headspace/liquid gas chromatography (GC) with MS detection
- CHN elemental analyser
- Coulometric Karl Fischer titration
- Sulphur/nitrogen analyser
- GPC system with UV detector