Analytical Chemistry, Reference Materials
Organic Trace and Food Analysis
Our aim is to make an active contribution towards improvement of the quality of life by acquiring, evaluating and exploiting new analytical results. This includes in particular the development and validation of standardisable analytical methods as well as contributions to quality assurance such as development of certified reference materials and the performance of proficiency tests.
Our work is focused on trace analysis of organic pollutants in food, environmental matrices and consumer products. A current issue in this area is the quantification of priority contaminants by means of chromatographic methods. Increasing emphasis is placed on the identification of natural transformation products and non-target analysis for authenticity studies.
Our activities in the fields of R&D, metrology, standardisation and transfer of knowledge and technology are part of national and international networks.
Fields of expertise
- Development and validation of chromatographic methods for quantitative trace analysis of organic pollutants (GC, HPLC)
- Development, production and certification of traceable reference materials
- Organisation, performance and evaluation of interlaboratory comparisons and individual proficiency tests
- Investigation of transformation processes and identification of transformation products
- Quantitative analysis of organic pollutants in food and environmental matrices
- Reference materials
- Interlaboratory comparisons / Proficiency tests
- Identification of transformation products and non-target analysis
Range of services/technical equipment
- High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with MS/MS, FL and DAD detection
- Electrochemical reactor (EC) with online coupling to HPLC and MS detection
- Preparative HPLC with MS and DAD detection
- Gas chromatography (GC) with different sample injection techniques (headspace, liquid, thermodesorption, SPME) and detection methods (MS, FID, ECD)
- Elemental analysis (CHN)
- Coulometric Karl Fischer titration
- Technical centre for the production of solid reference materials with devices for grinding, sieving, homogenisation and packaging
Publications of the division