Post-doctoral researcher (m/f/d) in the field of Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
291/19 – 9.4
Unter den Eichen 87
To strengthen our team in the division “Weld Mechanics” in Berlin-Steglitz,
starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Post-doctoral researcher (m/f/d)
in the field of Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state-of-the-art research infrastructure and special laborato-ries.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
The scientific work aims at developing a fracture mechanics-based assessment concept for pressurized components produced by additive manufacturing (AM) by using representative local material properties. The work comprises:
- Characterization of the basic cyclic mechanical properties and fatigue behaviour of the AM material.
- Determination of long and short fatigue crack extension (cyclic R-curve), including the associated fatigue crack propagation thresholds of the AM material.
- Critical analysis and comparison of the experimental data which have to be obtained on representative samples and specimens directly taken from AM components.
- The BAM approach for fracture mechanics-based determination of S-N curves has to be extended and, where necessary, adapted to the requirements of AM. A new software has to be implemented and applied to an AM component.
- Together with a partner at BAM and an external partner an overall concept has to be developed for the damage tolerant design and assessment of pressurized AM components.
- The work comprises the supervision of master and doctoral students and publication in national and international scientific journals as well as presentations at conferences.
- Successfully completed PhD in Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced knowledge in applied mechanics, fracture mechanics and fatigue (including fatigue crack propagation)
- Advanced knowledge in statistical assessment
- Experience in experimental material testing (HCF and fatigue crack propagation)
- Good knowledge in Finite Element modelling and programming skills
- Very good knowledge of the English language (written and spoken)
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 06.01.2020, quoting the reference number 291/19-9.4. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
Dr Mauro Madia will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1532 and/or by email to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may also contact Prof. Dr. Uwe Zerbst the telephone number +49 30 8104-1531
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.