PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
270/19 – 9.4
Unter den Eichen 87
To strengthen our team in the division “Weld Mechanics” in Berlin-Steglitz,
starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d)
in the field of Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state of the art research infrastructure and special laboratories.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Coordination and scientific development of the project “Investigation of residual stress and microstructure effects on the fatigue behaviour of a LPBF AlSi10Mg alloy”
- Extensive literature research on the fatigue behaviour of LPBF AlSi10Mg
- Characterisation of microstructure and residual stresses
- Conduct experimental tests to characterise the material behaviour under cyclic loading
- Build up a fracture mechanics-based model for the assessment of the fatigue behaviour, including the critical analysis of the results
- Supervision of students
- Publications in national and international scientific journals, presentations at conferences
- Preparation of a doctoral thesis
- Successfully completed Master’s degree in Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering
- Basic knowledge in materials science and X-Ray based techniques
- Good knowledge in fatigue and fracture of metallic materials
- Experience in experimental material testing (HCF and fatigue crack propagation)
- Good programming skills
- Good knowledge of the English language (written and spoken)
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: email@example.com by 06.12.2019, quoting the reference number 270/19-9.4. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
Dr Mauro Madia will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1532 and/or by email to Mauro.Madia@bam.de.
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.