Ph-D student (m/f/d) in the field of Physics, Materials Science, or similar disciplines
211/19 – 8.5
Unter den Eichen 87
To strengthen our team in the division “micro non-destructive testing” in Berlin-Steglitz ,
starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Ph-D student (m/f/d)
in the field of Physics, Materials Science, or similar disciplines
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state of the art research infrastructure and special laboratories.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Microstructure characterization using computed tomography and, possibly, microscopy
- Implementation and optimization of machine learning based segmentation algorithms for image analysis
- Micromechanical characterization with Neutron and X-ray diffraction, including analytical modelling
- Numerical modelling (e.g., finite element)
- Presentation of results at international conferences and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Literature research
- Proactive collaboration with colleagues inside and outside BAM
- Supervision of student assistants
- University degree in applied physics, materials science or similar with a very good mark
- Good knowledge of programming languages (python, C++)
- Good knowledge of finite element simulations
- Good knowledge and experience in X-ray computed tomography and/or neutron diffraction are advantageous.
- Experience with imaging processes and image processing is an advantage
- Experience in mechanical testing
- Strong ability to work in a team
- Initiative, determination and resilience in multidisciplinary projects
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Good knowledge of German is an advantage
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 06.10.2019, quoting the reference number 211/19-8.5. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
Prof Bruno will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1850 and/or by email to Giovanni.Bruno@bam.de.
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.