Ph-D student (m/f/d) in the field of geophysics, physics, acoustics, NDT, electrical engineering or comparable
196/19 – 8.2
Unter den Eichen 87
To strengthen our team in the division 8.2 “Non-destructive Testing Methods for Civil Engineering” in Berlin-Steglitz,
starting 2019-10-01, we are looking for a
Ph-D student (m/f/d)
in the field of geophysics, physics, acoustics, NDT, electrical engineering or comparable
Salary group E13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
as part-time employment (65%)
The PhD project is part of a BAM thematic focus project on the safety of engineered barriers in nuclear waste repositories (“SealWasteSafe”). The interdisciplinary project group works on improved sealing materials, quality assurance by ultrasound and other methods as well as long-term monitoring. The PhD project focuses on the evaluation and improvement of an ultrasonic borehole probe and the development of imaging methods for transmission and reflection methods. Our deep penetration ultrasonic echo system LAUS will be applied as well. Cooperation with University of Potsdam and Bergakademie Freiberg as well as other institutions is intended.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Performing and evaluating measurements with a prototype borehole probe in the lab, improvement of the probe together with our ultrasound/electronics team
- Development and test of 2D and 3D imaging methods, adopted from geophysics, to single-hole and cross-hole measurements, including 3D simulation of wave propagation
- Data processing and feature extraction to characterize cracks and boundaries, including, if appropriate, methods from AI and ML.
- Evaluation and validating the results via measurements on test model in the lab and in an underground repository
- M. sc. from an internationally acknowledged university in geophysics, physics, acoustics, NDT, electrical engineering or comparable, degree “very good” or “excellent”
- Knowledge in elastic wave propagation, and related imaging methods
- Experience in performing measurements with electronic devices in a lab.
- Programming skills (e. g. C, Python, Matlab)
- Team oriented working style
- English and German language skills (spoken and written), one language fluent (enough for scientific publications), the other at least on B1 level.
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally and to work underground
- A security check is required for working at the underground repository
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: email@example.com by 13.09.2019, quoting the reference number 196/19-8.2. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
Dr. Ernst Niederleithinger will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1440 and/or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.