Graduate student (m/f/d) in the field of microbiology, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related areas
149/19 – 4.1
Unter den Eichen 87
To strengthen our team in the division “Biodeterioration and Reference Organisms” in
starting from the 1st of October 2019 by 31st December 2019 at the latest, we are looking for a
Graduate student (m/f/d)
in the field of microbiology, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related areas
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
65 % of regular number of working hours
At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state-of-the-art research infrastructure and special laboratories.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Experiments on the susceptibility to commonly used biocides of microorganisms that mediate microbially-influenced corrosion
- Experiments on the role of biofilms formed by microorganisms in mediating resistance and tolerance to biocides.
- Conducting experimental evolution and genomic analyses to understand the emergence of biocide resistance in microorganisms that mediate microbially-influenced corrosion
- publication of results in scientific journals and presentation at international conferences
- supervision of students projects
- Excellent MSc. or equivalent degree in microbiology, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related areas
- practical experience and knowledge with growth, competition and killing experiments with microorganisms in the presence of antimicrobial compounds
- practical experience and knowledge with anaerobic cultivation of microorganisms
- practical experience and knowledge with analysis of biofilms
- practical experience and knowledge with conducting experimental evolution with microorganisms and analysis of whole genome sequencing data
- practical experience and knowledge with creating gene knock-out mutants in microorganisms and gene expression analysis with qPCR or RNASeq
- good knowledge in English
- Interest in interdisciplinary work as well as independent, careful and self-responsible working methods
- Commitment, ability to cooperate and work in a team
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: email@example.com by 11.08.2019, quoting the reference number 149/19-4.1. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
Dr. Frank Schreiber will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have starting from the 5th of August. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1414 and/or by email to Frank.Schreiber@bam.de.
We would like to point out that we have advertised another doctoral position in the above-mentioned department under the reference number 148/19-4.1. You also have the opportunity to apply for this position.
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.