Senior Scientist in Natural Sciences (m/f/d)
138/19 – 1.8
To strengthen our team in the division “Environmental Analysis” in Berlin-Adlershof,
starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Senior Scientist in Natural Sciences (m/f/d)
Salary group 14 TVöD
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state-of-the-art research infrastructure and special laboratories.
Analytical Chemistry provides, by offering always new insights, an active contribution to the environ-mental safety of our materials and chemicals, to food safety and for innovations in biotechnology. Bioanalytical methods, especially biosensors, are technologies of the future. In our area of work “Immunoanalytics” we develop antibody-based methods for environmental, food and materials analysis. Targets are pharmaceuticals and drugs, pesticides, endocrine disruptors and hormones, anthropogenic markers, materials additives and food contaminants such as mycotoxins. Since for many of these compounds there are no or no high-quality antibodies, we are developing BAM-own antibodies. This field will now be strengthened with the implementation of biotechnological (recombinant) methods for the generation of antibody-based “binders”.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Implementation of expression systems for recombinant antibodies and antibody mimics (nanobodies, heavy-chain antibodies from camelids, single-domain antibodies, VHH, scFv, Fab) involving molecular biology, especially directed evolution of antibodies (antibody engineering) through mutagenesis and affinity screening (e.g. phage display technology)
- Research and development for antibody-based analytical methods (immunoassays) for their use in environmental, food and materials analysis, especially lab-on-a-chip platforms
- Planning and supervision of cell biology experiments, especially cell-based or cell-free bioproduction of antibodies resp. antibody mimics
- Conceptualisation of research to understand the binding of haptens to their respective antibodies and to to gain insights into mechanistic and modell-based comprehension of the suitability of antibodies for different analytical systems
- Quality assurance, standardisation and characterisation of antibodies
- An academic university degree in Natural Sciences and a Ph.D. degree in the area with predicate “very good”
- Multiyear experience as a postdoctoral researcher in a related research area
- Comprehensive knowledge and extensive practical experience in recombinant resp. cell-free antibody expression
- Profound experience in molecular biology, desirably also in phage display technology
- Experience in Molecular Modelling is desirable
- Experience in acquisition of third-party funding as well as management of research projects
- Experience in the supervision of junior scientists
- Proven international publication and presentation record in relevant fields
- Excellent command of the English language
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface between politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Equal opportunities
We welcome applications per email. Please send your application to the following address: email@example.com by 31.08.2019, quoting the reference number 138/19-1.8. Please attach detailed application documents to the email as a summarised file in PDF format (max. 20 MB). Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Please note that all application documents will only be stored and processed for the selection procedure. Upon conclusion of the selection procedure, the documents will be deleted in compliance with regulations on data privacy.
The Head of Division 1.8 Environmental Analysis, Dr. habil. Rudolf J. Schneider will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1150 (mobile: +49 15209037766) and/or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BAM pursues equal opportunities. For this reason, we particularly welcome female applicants. Recognised disabled applicants with identical suitability will be selected preferentially.